If you’re looking for a new job, you may have decided to try a temporary-to-hire arrangement. The good news is that these types of jobs have the potential to turn into full-time, permanent employment. If you do a good job and fill the requirements and qualifications, plus fit into the company culture—you just may find yourself with a job offer from your temporary employer.
How long does it take to be hired?
This is dependent on the job. In some cases, it can take 3-6 months, or even up to a year. Basically, the employer is trying to make sure you’re a good match for the job to ensure they make the best possible hiring decision. It’s very similar to a long-term interview process. But you can take steps to help pave the way towards your permanent job placement by winning points with your temporary employer.
How to do your best at your temp-to-hire job
You can pull out all the stops and impress your boss with the following:
- Meet your goals and deadlines. Make sure you have a clear understanding of your role and what your boss expects of you. Be clear on your responsibilities, and if you aren’t—just ask. Be sure to complete your assignments on time and meet all your deadlines.
- Be on time. It’s pretty easy… don’t make a habit of wandering in late, leaving early or taking extra-long breaks. Your boss wants to know you’re reliable, responsible and professional. It’s easy to do this by sticking to a strict time schedule.
- Contribute your thoughts and ideas. You can bring value to your temporary team by speaking up at meetings and in email chains. You bring a unique set of skills and qualifications to the job, so never be afraid to share.
- Work with your teammates. This is an important soft skill that can help you get hired. Good teamwork will help the company accomplish tasks and move ahead. Practice good communication, ask questions and stay positive when you interact with coworkers.
- Ask for feedback. The best way to know if you’re on track is simply to ask. Request a meeting with your boss on a regular basis. Ask how you’re doing and what else you can do to help the team.
Be ready to impress!
Follow these tips to do a good job during your temporary to hire position and move one step closer to a permanent placement.
Work with your recruiter
If you feel you could use guidance, check with your recruiter for suggestions. And if you need one, contact Inter-Connect. We’ll work with you to find job opportunities you’ll excel at.