September 16, 2021
When it’s time to hire, you want to make the best choices for your company. Nothing can set you back quite like the wrong candidate matches, disruption to your team and subsequent turnover (and rehiring). You can avoid all this and improve your choices when you focus on tops qualities of a customer service rep and pay attention to them during your upcoming interviews.
What are top qualities of a customer service rep?
Whether they’ll be communicating by phone, email or text, you’ll want to look for the following when finding customer service representatives who will do the best for your company:
- They’re often tied to a phone or computer for their entire shift and there are customers relying on your services for help. Customer service reps who show up on time, or at least give you ample notice when calling off, are absolutely essential to maintaining customer satisfaction with your company.
- They’re a voice on the other end of the phone who is there to offer reassurance and provide assistance. Their tone of voice and manner of speaking means everything when dealing with your customers. This is why it’s important to find candidates who are approachable in their demeanor.
- Though a job as a customer service rep can be frustrating, the best of the best understand that people aren’t calling in to be difficult; they may be afraid, confused, stressed out or worried. Empathy is an important quality that allows a customer service rep to extend caring and concern to those they communicate with.
- Quick thinking. Your reps will be handling upset customers for most of their shift, so if they can quickly determine a solution and get a customer the answer they need, it will go a long way towards customer satisfaction. Being able to think quickly on their feet (and under pressure) is a top skill to have.
- It definitely helps with a customer service rep has thorough knowledge of your products and processes. They’ll be able to answer questions and provide quick feedback when customers contact you. If an employee is dedicated to their job, you can feel confident they’ll learn everything they need to do their very best when communicating with your customers.
Does your candidate have these qualities?
If so—you’re on your way to a beautiful working relationship! And if not, it may help to go back to the drawing board.
Let Inter-Connect help! We specialize in the placement of top candidates and will help you find the customer service reps you need. To learn more, contact us today!