August 30, 2018
Finding new talent can be a time-consuming process. And the longer a position goes unfilled at your company, the more drain it is on staff currently picking up the slack. For this reason, you should take steps to make talent sourcing swift and efficient.
Five tips to speed up your search:
You can find new hires faster and easier with these tips:
- Use an employee referral system. Your own workers may know of people currently looking for work. And when you keep a referral system in place year round, it helps you build a network of potential hires. Plus, your best workers likely spend their time with like-minded individuals of the same caliber, so you’ll have at least some indication you’re contacting a potential candidate with a good work ethic, etc.
- Hire internally. This is one of the fastest ways to find new talent and make a quick hiring decision. Your current workers are already familiar with your business and company culture, and may even have an idea of the responsiblities associated with an open role. Plus, hiring/promoting internally is very motivating to your staff—reiterating that hard work is rewarded.
- Write very detailed job descriptions. Leave nothing to the imagination with your job descriptions. A candidate should be able to review one and understand what a role will entail, what qualifications are required, and even what your company culture is like. This way, you’ll be able to limit the number of resumes you need to review, and have fewer, but more targeted, candidates to interview.
- Screen using a phone interview first. In many cases, a simple and fast phone interview will help you weed out bad candidates so you can focus your attention on the truly good candidates.
- Work with a recruiter. Staffing agencies have access to both active and passive candidates—a deep talent pool that makes it much easier to find potential hires. Plus your recruiter will work with you to understand exactly what qualifications you need, leading to candidates with the exactly the skills you need.
Be fast, but be accurate.
One thing to remember when hiring new workers is you want to bring new workers on board quickly. However, rushing into a hiring decision can lead to bad hiring choices, decreased morale of your current staff, and eventual turnover. The best way to overcome sourcing and hiring obstacles is to know exactly what type of candidate you’re looking for—including qualifications, experience, knowledge and maybe even personality.
Looking for a staffing partner?
Look no further than Inter-Connect. We work with employers in the tri-state area to find and place light industrial workers, office workers and more. To connect with one of our recruiters, contact us today!