January 25, 2019
Are you in search of new candidates? If you’re short-staffed or planning to expand your business, you may find yourself in need of additional talent and you may need them yesterday. However, selecting the right candidates for your company is a big decision—your staff directly affects the quality of your product or service, the experience and satisfaction of your customers, your brand reputation, and your profits. In short: everything. So hiring workers shouldn’t be a rush decision. You must take the time you need to make good hiring choices.
Five best practices when it comes time to hire
The hiring process is time-consuming, but you can take steps to improve your efficiency and maximize your time. Try the following:
- Know who you’re looking for. When you clearly define roles and qualifications, it makes it much easier to understand who’s a good fit and who isn’t. Reviewing resumes will go much faster when you can automatically select or eliminate based on required talents and qualifications (or lack thereof).
- Write a clear job description. You can help candidates self-identify themselves as potential candidates when your job descriptions are clear. Explain the open role, what responsibilities the person will have, what qualifications you absolutely require, and what your company culture is like.
- Choose a cultural fit. Beyond professional qualifications, it helps to choose candidates who will work well with the rest of your team. You can determine cultural fit by asking candidates about their preferred work environment during the interview. You can also get a good idea how well they’ll mesh by taking candidates on a quick tour and introducing them to potential future teammates.
- Conduct a thorough screening. You can protect the safety of your business and your current staff through a complete background check. This could include employment verification, credit checks, criminal background checks, and substance screening.
- Work with a recruiter. If all the above sounds daunting, it doesn’t need to be. Resources are available to help! When you work with a staffing agency, they take on some or all the steps involved in finding, screening, hiring and onboarding new workers—so you don’t have to! Your time-to-hire can be much faster and easier with a staffing partner on your side.
Take the time you need to get it right
It’s worth it to search high and low until you find the right candidates. This way, you can avoid poor hiring choices, turnover and a dip in employee morale. The right candidates are out there!
Looking for staffing support?
Check out Inter-Connect! We’ll work with you to understand your staffing needs and find talent who fits. We place qualified light industrial and office workers, and we’re ready to help you meet your staffing needs. To learn more, contact us today!