August 12, 2021
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many people found themselves working at home. Though some have gone back to the office, many of us still find ourselves happily working away from the comfort of home. If remote work has become your reality, you may be really comfortable—some people prefer working from home. However, if you feel challenged to focus and get your work done, it helps when you follow a few smart work-at-home tips.
How to be productive working from home
Sitting at a laptop at your kitchen table while your family or roommates buzz about may not sound like your ideal working situation. And to be honest, it’s not. When you work from home, you need to set boundaries and build a little structure into your day to help yourself stay productive. Here’s what you can do:
- Set aside your dedicated workspace. Not all of us have the luxury of a spare bedroom we can use as an office. But you’ll still want to claim a corner of your home as your workspace. and it comes complete with rules! When you’re in your workspace, no one is allowed to bother you. And when you aren’t there, no one is allowed to touch your belongings. Having a dedicated area where you work will also help you get into the work mindset as soon as you sit down at your desk.
- Schedule time with those you live with. To successfully work at home while others are also there, you need to discuss your daily schedule. Just because you’re home doesn’t mean you’re always available on a moment’s notice. For example, explain that when you’re working, you need peace and quiet, but you are free to chat during your lunch break. By setting expectations, you can help minimize interruptions.
- Ask for the equipment you need. This could include a comfortable desk chair, full monitor and docking station for your laptop, work phone, printer or any other equipment that will allow to successfully get your work done while not in an office setting.
- Create a morning routine. This includes waking up at the same time every workday and doing things to help you get ready to log in and get things done. You might workout first thing, then take a shower, get dressed, and have breakfast. It can be tempting to sleep in, roll out of bed and start working while still in your pajamas. But you might find yourself more in a working mood when you’re dressed and ready to go!
- Take breaks and sick time. Treat your workday just as you would in the office. Don’t skimp on your lunch break and remember to get up every hour or so to stretch and move around. Get outside during your breaks and take a walk around the block to get your blood flowing. And if you’re sick, take a day off to rest and recover. Time off is important to your mental well-being.
- Connect with coworkers. Turn on your camera during WebEx calls or use the chat function to communicate with people in the meeting. Email and call your coworkers to catch up. Human connection makes your job more fun, and enjoying what you do will help you be more productive.
- Ask for regular meetings with your boss. Talk to her about your job performance, what you’re doing well and what you could improve. Discuss your short- and long-term goals. Just because you’re not seeing your boss face-to-face doesn’t mean your career development is any less important! By talking regularly, it can help you stay on track with your career path.
In search of your next job?
Maybe you’ve decided you’re tired of remote work and would like something in an office. Or maybe you’d like to try your hand at a remote position. Wherever you’d like your career to take you, a recruiter can help. And Inter-Connect is a top choice. To learn more about our open jobs, visit our job search page today!