November 15, 2017
If you’re like many people these days, you work hard! It’s a great feeling to put in a solid day’s work, day after day, and continue crossing things off your to-do list. Your boss is happy, you’re happy and you’re making contributions to your company through your ideas, suggestions, projects, and output. Life is good! But to make sure it stays good, and you stay in tip-top shape, you need to take regular vacations.
The benefits of taking vacation
It may seem counterintuitive that taking time away from work will help you… at work. But it’s true, and experts recommend vacation time as a way for your body, mind, and soul to rest, rejuvenate and be able to return to work—ready to rock! It’s true. Experts agree the benefits of taking all (or most) of your accrued vacation time include reduced stress. And this can help you avoid health complications down the road, such as heart and liver disease, and gastrointestinal problems.
Signs that you need a vacation
So let’s say you’re a hard worker who can’t seem to fit in vacation time, but you don’t think you need it. You may believe you’re immune to the effects of chronic stress. But if you’ve noticed any of the following signals, a vacation may be just what the doctor ordered:
- You have a hard time winding down at night and getting to sleep
- It takes you longer than usual recently to come up with fresh, creative ideas
- You haven’t spent a day in a very long time away from your computer or smartphone
- You can’t remember the last time you saw your friends or spent quality time with your family
- You have a hard time getting up in the morning, or getting started when you get to work
- You often find yourself with a short fuse with others
- Little things tend to get under your skin more than usual
If you find yourself nodding yes to any of the above, it’s time to put in a request for that hard-earned time off.
It’s important to take a break!
Whether you choose to travel to far away places or enjoy a “staycation” in the comfort of your own home—it’s critical to your health and well-being to take much-needed time off. If you’re not used to taking vacations, you may feel guilty at first. But you shouldn’t. In the end, your body (and your career) will thank you!
Looking for a new job?
If you’re in search of a new job in the Tri-State area, we’re your number one connection! The staffing professionals at Inter-Connect place qualified candidates with office/clerical, industrial, technical and professional/managerial experience! To learn more, contact Inter-Connect today.